who believes EV batteries are good for 10 years? haha!
Nomen Nescio
2023-03-29 11:58:34 UTC
I mean the lithium batteries in a laptop computer only
last a few years.
Xeno
2023-03-29 13:13:55 UTC
Post by Nomen Nescio
I mean the lithium batteries in a laptop computer only
last a few years.
You *might* benefit from a good read of this.

https://au.renogy.com/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-lithium-battery-charging-cycles/

It's the charging cycle and the usage style that are the critical
things. I know of a number of hybrid cars where the batteries are in
excess of 10 years old. At 10 years, if charged and used correctly, they
should still have better than 80% capacity remaining. Same applies to BEVs.
--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Computer Nerd Kev
2023-03-29 21:49:54 UTC
Post by Xeno
Post by Nomen Nescio
I mean the lithium batteries in a laptop computer only
last a few years.
You *might* benefit from a good read of this.
https://au.renogy.com/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-lithium-battery-charging-cycles/
It's the charging cycle and the usage style that are the critical
things. I know of a number of hybrid cars where the batteries are in
excess of 10 years old. At 10 years, if charged and used correctly, they
should still have better than 80% capacity remaining.
The numbers from that article suggest (vaguely) that "used
correctly" means you only use 25% of the available capacity before
recharging, so that's rather a big chunk off the advertised range
of the vehicles. It probably does apply to many urban commuters,
but EVs are advertised now as being replacements for internal
combustion powered cars, so presumably many are used as such in
longer trips.

Also the article's about solar power, not electric vehicles, so
their conversion of charge cycles to years probably isn't based on
factors relevent to vehicle use.

My guess is that many won't make it to 10 years in useful
condition, but some will, which is actually the same as I've
experienced with laptops from different users. My laptop experience
also suggests that battery quality is a big factor as well (cheap
no-name replacement packs die much sooner than OEM batteries).
--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#
Xeno
2023-03-30 01:13:06 UTC
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Post by Xeno
Post by Nomen Nescio
[...]
Research suggests that most people could easily substitute a BEV for
their daily driver since they drive less than 50 kilometres daily.
Certainly, were either or both of our cars BEVs, then we would use less
than 20% of battery capacity daily with occasional long trips. Some of
those trips would be 100-200 km round trip, some rarer trips would
exceed that. I consider my self an average car user though not a
commuter since I'm retired, certainly my annual mileage indicates that.
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Also the article's about solar power, not electric vehicles, so
their conversion of charge cycles to years probably isn't based on
factors relevent to vehicle use.
Maybe not but EV batteries are generally warranted for 8 years or more.
That gives a good expectation of a 10+ year average lifespan. My point,
by including that article, was to demonstrate that *how you charge* and
*how you use* the EV battery is what ultimately determines the battery
lifespan. Phones and laptops are no different and this is a point lost
on most people.

Tesla
Model S and Model X - 8 years (with the exception of the original 60 kWh
battery manufactured before 2015 that is covered for a period of 8 years
or 125,000 miles/200,000 km, whichever comes first).
Model 3 with Standard or Mid-Range Battery - 8 years or 100,000 miles
(160,000 km), whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of
Battery capacity* over the warranty period.
Model 3 with Long Range Battery - 8 years or 120,000 miles (192,000 km),
whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity*
over the warranty period.

Hyundai
8 year battery warranty; Each high voltage lithium-ion battery is backed
by an 8 year/ 160,000km replacement warranty (whichever occurs first)
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
My guess is that many won't make it to 10 years in useful
condition, but some will, which is actually the same as I've
The reality, with Toyota hybrids at least, is that EV batteries do last
longer than 10 years and still retain a useful range. I suspect the
BEVs, once they get up to 10 year lifespans, will be no different.
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
experienced with laptops from different users. My laptop experience
Cars *are not* laptops.
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
also suggests that battery quality is a big factor as well (cheap
no-name replacement packs die much sooner than OEM batteries).
That's true for any and all batteries.

Daryl
2023-03-30 01:45:23 UTC
Post by Nomen Nescio
I mean the lithium batteries in a laptop computer only
last a few years.
Seems to be quite variable, the way they are treated as in the way they
are charged and discharged makes quite a difference to their life.
A friend owns a 12yr old Prius which still has its OE battery and its
still working fine but its not difficult to find examples of batteries
that have failed under 10yrs old.
The big problem for owners is if their battery does fail what do they
replace the battery or replace the car?
Either way the cost is high.
Daryl
Xeno
2023-03-30 03:59:24 UTC
Post by Daryl
Post by Nomen Nescio
I mean the lithium batteries in a laptop computer only
last a few years.
Seems to be quite variable, the way they are treated as in the way they
With the Prius, treatment of the battery is *critical* to longevity.
Cooling, for instance, is a critical feature of Lithium Ion batteries
and the early Prius' had an Achilles Heel in that regard. The battery
cooling system had a critical vent at the back seat area and it was
possible for the owner to accidentally block this with stuff placed
carelessly in the back seat/floor area. Also, if you run a Prius at very
high highway speeds, the Hybrid battery won't get charged by the hybrid
charging system *or* regeneration. If that happens, and the battery goes
dead flat, you won't be able to start or drive the car. The charging
system will need a recalibration/cell balancing in order to get it
functioning again.
Post by Daryl
are charged and discharged makes quite a difference to their life.
I'm sure I mentioned this point in another post! ;-)
Post by Daryl
A friend owns a 12yr old Prius which still has its OE battery and its
Well, how odd, I too have a friend with a 12 year old Prius. Oops, no,
it's now 13 years old. ;-) It's a 2010 model.

Anyway. be careful mentioning having *friends* around here, you'll be
pilloried. I guess it's because those doing the pillorying don't have
any friends or understand the concept of *having friends*.
Post by Daryl
still working fine but its not difficult to find examples of batteries
that have failed under 10yrs old.
Invariably some aspect of maintenance, cooling or operation is
responsible for a good proportion of those. The first generation Prius
had a few issues, as mentioned above but the issue was addressed by
Toyota early on and reliability has markedly increased.
Post by Daryl
The big problem for owners is if their battery does fail what do they
replace the battery or replace the car?
Well, according to carsales.com.au, a 2010 Prius is valued at $9000 to
$15000 depending on condition. Given the Prius engine is
*understressed*, one could expect it to do 300k-400k kilometres without
requiring an overhaul if properly serviced. A Prius hybrid battery can
be replaced for $2,000 - $4,500, you work it out on the *residual* value
of the car.
Post by Daryl
Either way the cost is high.
Bullshit. You will recoup the battery cost in fuel cost savings over the
life of the battery. Likely *half* the expected battery life. It's a
value judgement whichever way you address it.